Thursday, July 9, 2009

Happy National Sugar Cookie Day!

That is right today is National Sugar Cookie Day.... you did not even know there was such a thing did you? I didn't either until I stumbled upon it on a July event calendar. What a fun day! So, in honor of this very special day I am going to share a very special recipe with you, my Grandmother's cookies. I would love to say that I am going to go home and bake and decorate cookies with Reece tonight but that is not going to happen. She does love them and will have plenty of time to make cookie memories just like I have. It is not Christmas at my house until the cookie snowmen, complete with their orange sprinkle noses are on that plate for Santa! These cookies were also the favors at my wedding, Reece's birthday party, and will be at my nephew's party in a couple of weeks. So here it is:

Sugar Cookies:

Sift together 4 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Cut in 1 cup shortening or butter. Stir in 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla, and 1/2 cup milk.
Roll out and cut using your favorite cookie cutter. Bake in a greased cookie sheet at400 degrees for 10 -12 minutes.
Once they cool frost them.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
Soften 1/4 cup butter and a package of cream cheese. Stir in 4 cups powdered sugar, 1teaspoon vanilla, and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Add canned milk a little at a time until you reach spreading consistency.

Have fun! And of course I have to share a picture of Reece with the bunny sugar cookie that the Easter Bunny left in her basket.











1 comment:

  1. Yay for sugar cookies! Your recipe is definitely the best sugar cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete